PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fire Extinguisher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elden simons

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Fire Extinguisher Reply with quote

Carrying a fire extinguisher rated for electrical and chemical would be fine. What is the common brand around? 'Kidde' ? I think?

How about something with a rip-cord in the cockpit that releases the special trigger remotely? Most extinguishers are handled via hand control, so need one that has a reverse operation that does it on its own when the pin is pulled.

Steve...whats the date on that photo of the burnt out Pulse posted on the top line of the Forum?
What's the background/owners story besides what you mentioned? Looks like the side of Butcher's Barn.
StillWishing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to reinvent the wheel.

The problem with carrying an extinguisher is how quickly you can get out to still be able to safely open access to the engine and deploy the fire supression chemical. Having a bottle inside the cockpit would be nice to protect a passenger if the firewall started breaking down. For an "underhood" fire, the best way is to have a funny car style fire supression system installed.

You dont need one as exotic, complex, or as expensive as a 300mph funny car though. Taylor Motorsports sells one for "door cars" for $321 that would be perfect if there is a location for the bottle. There are also systems with smaller bottles as well.

**click picture for details**

$321 is pretty cheap when you consider the alternative

Waiting for my dream to come true
DMD1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: firecharger.com a foam system Reply with quote

firecharger.com also has a system. Theirs use foam. At this point I do not now what is best but when assembly begins there will be a system installed in 186. Later Dave
elden simons

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been ages since my OSHA Safety training, but the extinguisher should be the type that can handle Chemical and Electrical.
I'm thinking that foam may be bad for electrical. It may need to be a dry inert extinguishing medium. I'm sure someone will find that right class if they persue this idea.
DMD1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Foam is ok for electrical Reply with quote

Extinguisher sales person said foam is use able for electrical fires. But honestly electrical fires are easier to prevent and usually cause other parts to burn. I have not gotten into the Pulse wiring going to dash . (But on other cars)I use a main fuse of higher amperage that usually protects car fires from direct shorts . I am just glad the other guy brought these type of extinguisher systems to our attention. Later 186Dave
AcftEngr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until recently halon was used for most aircraft. Most aircraft engines are equipped with a halon extinguisher system. It depletes the oxygen and immediately extinguished the fire. No real clean-up or subsequent damage (beyond the fire). It is considered a "clean" agent!

I say until recently, because now we have ozone problems!! If you are concerned about the global warming and that kind of stuff, use the another method.....BUT....I believe that the new halon is more environmentally friendly and is less effective.

My first choice will be halon.....hands down!
DMD1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: I think I am going foam Reply with quote

Following is snipet of advertisement. It makes a lot of sense to me.

Foam fire system, not gas: Foam has been the extinguishant of choice for many years for outdoor applications such as airports and rocket launch platforms where wind and air flow can dissipate gases such as Halon. Foam clings to surfaces and prevents fires from returning by smothering them in CO2 filled bubbles. Halon, and the other gases such as FE36 are still charged a HAZMAT fee by freight companies.

Knowing how fiberglass burns and drips, foam seems like a better choice. But anything is better than what is there now... a fire waiting to happen. I wonder how many of these have caught fire? Later 186Dave
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think a unit that can be turned on from the driver seat would be a great idea. I just got #77 back on the road today after pulling the GL1100 carbs because they just started dripping gas from one of the seals that, yeah after 20+ years, just decided to quit doing it's job. Luckily it didn't end up in a fire. I don't have my bulkhead between the engine and drivers compartment installed yet, so I smelled it right away.

I carry an extinguisher under the drivers seat, but I don't know.... if I see flames coming from the back of my Pulse, I'll just be honest here... it's going to burn. I'm not sticking my head back there with 5 gallons of gas waiting to go up.

I do a "pre-flight" check of my Pulse before taking it out, whenever I stop anywhere, and after I'm done driving it.

Have fun, but be safe.

- Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: