PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

186 out of control

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMD1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: 186 out of control Reply with quote

186 had not seen the road in a decade? After realizing that, only way I know is to go farther all at once. So even though I never intended to get into major restoration........I put a list together of what I want and what I do not like.... So I decided to screw myself and do a minor restoration! I bet hundred I will pull power plant and refresh, not now but a week before convention! So now I am redoing wiring harness, getting all lights, charging and gauges to work. Sound and heat deadening, All brakes and associated hardware. Rust in frames , so far so good. I will leave main body on. I want to get to fun part and paint it! I should stay red but love yellow. Hmmmm. I am done with ImPulse shopping. Later 186Dave
DMD1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Mile 70 Reply with quote

Put 70 miles on 186. Today high winds of 40mph on a gravel road doing 50mph. Interesting. Maybe I am a wuss but the Yamaha 400 seems to go just fine. It still breaks up so top speed has been 60mph. Once I sort that out it should satisfy Me. Tinker tinker tinker. Later 186Dave
DMD1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Thought about selling Reply with quote

Maybe its the change in the weather... I thought about selling. Then looked at convention pics again. So instead of selling I bought a 82 Yamaha 400. Plan is to detail/rebuild this drive train and make it reliable. I hate having projects "dead" for extended periods. A gallon of bright red is on paint table. So maybe as soon as next week the project will really start. Later Dave186
DMD1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Hundred mile mark Reply with quote

Trip odometer made it past 100 miles today. It was cool. I drove to our little store. Head in parking only. Had to wait till people would move to push it into the road. I wish I had the dang bugs worked out. I am ready to ride! I need to add insulation,too noisy, will add foam fire extinguisher system, ride is very harsh will need to add air shocks. This thing is made for Fall weather.
Thanks to all that took the time to add Youtube videos. Later 186Dave
Steve Schmidt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Thanks for the update on your project. Air Shocks will improve ride alot.....rear most important.

I don't use reverse gear, because it tears up rear tire. I try to park in a pull-through space when ever possible.

We have all been in your shoes. Please continue your repairs, it's worth it.

Hope to see you and your machine at the next Rally at Marion.

Here is what a real Pulse Head looks like.

DMD1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Winter riding Reply with quote

It is about 28 degrees and sunny here in Mendota Il. I helped finish farming and champagne was in order. Perhaps the few glasses of bubbly took off the worry and concern. I really enjoyed my Pulse cruise to gas station. ($2.44 in fuel fill up!!) It runs very nicely in cold. So pick up coils are weak. They are now on shelf with new alternator. At about 125 miles this is first time I really enjoyed the ride. It is very comfortable when temps are cold,which they will be for next 6 months. Later 186Dave
DMD1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: No fuel solenoid almost caused bad ending Reply with quote

I was kind of waiting for the right time to work on Pulse. These type of projects always take longer and I really have been enjoying cruising. I went into shop and was greeted with the smell of two gallons of gas on ground. No fuel solenoid was installed. So between 4 foot snow drifts and this latest wake up call it is time to r&r engine fix coils, add a solenoid and install fire extinguisher. I wonder if I can get 'er done in one day? Later 186Dave
DMD1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: smartshoppersinc.com Reply with quote

Paint has become very expensive. For years I have used smartshoppersinc.com for sand paper and other supplies. For fun I tried one of their cheap paint kits. It was excellent. I plan on using a candy pomegranate red on 186. Kit price with primer is about $350. I practiced fiberglass repairs on My "Freeway" another three wheel motorcycle. Its a lot easier than metal I usually work with. Merry Christmas 186Dave
DMD1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Positive charging Reply with quote

The Yamaha 400 was easy to remove. Air impact made screw removal easy too. For about $100 bucks ,I bought clutch pack, alternator, pick up coils and a wiring harness. Alternator was hardest part, it was baked on shaft and took extra time to remove. Exhaust now has header wrap. I shimmed up clutch springs too. Its nice to see voltmeter in positive land. Hopefully snow will not stop test. Later 186Dave
DMD1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Test Reply with quote

Weather was way above 5 degrees today! Pulse fired up and ran smooth. Reversed out of garage and drove through snow. Still near 6 grand engine breaks up. Left carb side has less vacuum. My compression gauge does not fit . So will need to get one. I do not understand how it can run so good and still be failing. You may just see this on Ebay! .Later Dave
DMD1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Ponder ponder ponder Reply with quote

I got stuck in a snow drift, around 5 degrees with howling winds. Pushing the Pulse alone I forgot My back is screwed up. So for a couple of days I had some down time. Compression is good and the same. Today I will use vacuum gauge and look for clues. ** I know , I know should do a conversion. But My fear is I will end up with a cut up unfinished non running at all Pulse. We may be moving (Tavares Fl.) so I am trying to finish projects and not start any. Also with the canopy it is amazingly comfortable at low temps. So it can sit during July and August and the little 400 does not have to overheat. At least in the northern states. I should just drive at 55 and call it fixed! Not! Later 186Dave
DMD1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:39 am    Post subject: Soon to be perfect Reply with quote

I stumped a couple of mechanics. How can something run so well and at same time have issues? I put an ad on Craigs list. I will be picking up a Yamaha 400 with 5 k miles. New is only way to describe this bike. So if time permits by next week My Pulse will run purr-fect. Then I will finally have the Pulse I was hoping for. My first road trip is already planned. To Savannah Illinois and have a beer at Poopies biker bar!!!! Later Dave 186
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

You should get some kind of award for just taking your Pulse out in 5 degree weather. That's some major dedication.

Hey, don't be selling that Pulse too quick, especially if your moving to Travares, Fl. That's only 20 minutes up route 19 from me. It would be nice to get a few more Pulses back in the area.

Good luck getting it running the way you want it. Hope to see you in the South. Smile

Bob
DMD1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: March 27th 2009 Reply with quote

Bob (and others) I am throwing a party at Lake Harris lodge -Tavares Florida. Friday late afternoon till ? I can offer You an Amphicar ride- I ll trade a ride in Your Pulse. That weekend will be large antique (mostly wood) boat show with Amphicars in attendance. Email Me and I will give You My cell phone #.
Yesterday I picked up My low mile Yamaha 400. So when time permits Pulse 186 will become the machine I was hoping to buy the first time. Even though 186 had issues, I consider Myself lucky. Frame, canopy,steering, glass, brakes all very good. Next stop Iron Horse Social Club near Poopies in biker town Savannah Illinois. Maybe I will watch "Wild Hogs" again to get pumped up. Later 186Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: