PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Pulse with a new heart beat.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMD1

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: A Pulse with a new heart beat. Reply with quote

Tuition went way up. Independent Son Mike does not like working for Dad. But able to work till 3am on his own stuff. Dad misses Pulse but can not justify purchasing one now. Then the idea. I buy a Pulse and Son Mike builds it, then sells it for College. I get a Pulse back in shop, Mike has Summer job. So soon Pulse 240 arrives here for therapy. Later 240Dave

Last edited by DMD1 on Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 am; edited 1 time in total
DMD1

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Long journey starts with first step Reply with quote

We made the journey to Michigan. No disappointments. This Pulse was described honestly. Its a nice and solid as in rust free. Frame and outriggers show no signs of rust. Minimal body work needed also.It came with the Yamaha 400, which bench tested ok. He made an appointment to get price on windshield and canopy repair. M&M Custom specializes in this type of work. We will let You know. Later Dave
DMD1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Much progress Reply with quote

Luckily I still had the yellow burn unit. Mike has been able to use all sorts of goodies to build this one. I told him build it like you are going to own it. Frame cleaned and painted. All new brake hoses.lines.etc. My goal is to figure out to buy it when it is done. Later Dave
DMD1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Getting better Reply with quote

Mike installed the now as new front assembly. The windshield is Lexan Extra scratch resistant and looks perfect. Crystal clear. Trial fit looks great. If I get a couple made cost would be $550 plus ship. Everything changes and this price is not written in stone. We bought the Honda assembly from this forum (Thank You!) . So sooner than later another Pulse will be beating! Later Dave
Steve Schmidt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Please email me pics and I'll post. Also where did you buy the rubber windhield weather strip channel?

thanks,

Steve
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Dave,

Looking forward to getting your feedback on your new windshield source. You can never have enough options.

- Bob
DMD1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Pulse soon to ....... Reply with quote

Mike is kicking major buttocks. Frame is reconfigured, welded and ready. Massive 1100 is parked happily inside frame rails. Out riggers are adjusted for take off. The 'ol man is allowed a little input. Wiring harness is having a make over. Darn party weekends!! We could have this one flying soon!!!!!. We did basic engine tests and all seemed to work. So we are hoping for the best. Vroooooooooooooooooooom. If this thing runs it will be way too fast!!!!!! We are talking about wheel stands, burn outs and jumping the Grand Canyon. Later Dave . P.S. some pics at midwestamphicar.com- next week week I will add better pics. Laughing
elden simons

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Looked at the photos Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos.
I'm not all too familiar with all that is given, however. Could use some captioning to help orient the subject.
I've exchanged emails with Bob Hichborn in regards to how far one needs to go to remove a 1200 Honda engine. He figures that I shouldn't have to pull the inner frame out of the body to do such work. Well, there is the air conditioner that I'd like to use again.

I'm cobbling together the info. gleaned from the Archive site and the Forum for the intended work. I may yet have another person interested in tinkering (I've lost count on how many I've asked since 1990).

Sheesh, ta think that I even have hopes of building a mock up of a WWI, Mark IV tank in my back yard as a storage shed. That's going to be on the back burner fer sure.
Tammy and Elden have Pulse #308 from 1988.Built in Butcher's Barn and presently sets inoperative in their garage. We are still keeping it!
DMD1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: wiring Reply with quote

Schematics were easy enough to follow. The 1100 fired up quickly. We did that a few times and then pulled carbs for cleaning. Tomorrows goals are to start engineering controls , clean carbs and start wiring. I think We will be going with a nice bright red. Later Dave
DMD1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: engine oh boy Reply with quote

We almost got to go for a ride. But one carb started to leak. I finally looked up some info on this particular 1100. It is set up as a five speed with over drive. They say as a bike top speed was 176 mph. The Pulse weighs just slightly more than the bike did. So with this set up it will be a lot quieter and thus enjoyable than the Yamaha 400. Part of the Honda write up mentioned being in first at 5k rpm and gunning it. No problem with doing a wheelie. Can the Pulse do a wheelie? I bet Elden tried this and that is why his is dead in a barn!! PS I will be in Celina Ohio this week end with 35+ Amphicars. If You live near by ask for Dave the Wave and You can get a Amphicar ride. 7/25/09
hatfield

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: engine oh boy Reply with quote

DMD1 wrote:
I finally looked up some info on this particular 1100. It is set up as a five speed with over drive. They say as a bike top speed was 176 mph.

No way 176 as a stock 1100. Maybe 126 with a good tailwind. You'll have plenty of engine. Mine is a very good running, finely tuned 1100 and I can't imagine how fast it would go in the Pulse. But I don't think you'll ever be testing top speed. This machine is VERY busy and very tricky at speeds over 100 MPH. The beauty of the engine is how nice it purrs along at 60-65 at 2000 RPM. Plus on the hiway I get 60 MPG. Since you're rebuilding, take a look at the Dakota Digital dash pics, my best upgrades yet.
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Glad to hear things are moving along with the Pulse build.

I've taken some time to work on my Corvette, but am finally getting Prototype Pulse #1 out of the garage to integrate a 1980 GL100 to it next week. Of course, I'll have an endless list of things to do to get it road worthy, but it's a start. I'll post some pics, when I get a chance.

Pete,
I'm with you. I've been logging some miles on my Pulse every week, and over 70mph, it's not a comfortable feeling. I'm finding backroads 50 to 65, it's a fun ride, not particularly comfortable, but nevertheless it's still fun.

Keep it real... keep it safe!

- Bob
DMD1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Its alive! Reply with quote

Mikes smile said it all. Who knows how long this Pulse sat as a project. It was cool to hear the engine fire up as I look out the window it pulled out of garage. We ordered known good carbs since we are still having issues. So next week we should be able to drive on street. Very Happy . My old Pulse I was very comfortable at 75 on interstate passing trucks. On rough back roads it was a brutal ride. In town it was like being in a parade. Later Dave the Wave
DMD1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: new parts bad Reply with quote

Almost flew out of garage and saw brake fluid on wheel. New caliper was bad. So now we got back on body work. I am using a fiberglass resin but it uses carbon fibers instead of fiberglass. Sanding is more like plastic filler (bondo). But retains all of the strength and characteristics of fiberglass. I am hoping to get painted soon. We have decided on silver metallic. This is the same base used in "candy" colors. Darned project is taking longer and school starts soon. So it looks like this will become My project. Later Dave
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave,

What's the name of the "filler" that you're using. I use various products from Evercote and 3M. I really like the (Tiger Hair) long strand filller for bigger jobs, because it produces a surface that's as strong as fiberglass/resin. The short strand goes on a bit smoother so is easier to use as a filler and sands a bit easier. I try not to use Bondo except for a very light skim coat, but there are actually better products then Bondo.

- Bob
DMD1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: set backs and aggravation and then an air show Reply with quote

It was plain crazy here. Two Sons ready to leave for college. Major Pulse project getting on Mikes nerves. Windshield is not fitting as planned. "new carbs" were not. Mike set up Pulse really close to wall. That made painting really hard. Then this week end went to an airshow. Totally motivated me again for this project. It would have been so cool to have Pulse there. I am going to try very hard to get ours over to Marion. But lots of obstacles!!!! Later Dave
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave... Congrats on keeping your project moving along. I should be ready to start some test fitting of my last set of front windshield and canopy for Pulse Prototype #1. As I look down the road toward dragging Proto #2 out of it's mold, I'm going to be looking for alternatives for Todd's Canopies. How did the new windshield vendor work out?

- Bob
DMD1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Silver Reply with quote

http://www.midwestamphicar.com/images/825092.JPG I updated my site. Now have first pics of our Pulse in silver. Not perfect but sure does shine in the Sun. Cool Later Dave ....windshield... They cut it wrong. When I have a conclusion to this then I will post.
elden simons

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: If wishes were Pulses... Reply with quote

If wishes were Pulses, I'd need to cut down some trees for room!

The kind of body paint I'd like to afford is the highway striping paint with the glass beads for reflectivity. A couple coats of clear over the choice color and compimentary striping would be 'Hot'.
The attention by someone from the State wouldn't be hot
DMD1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: windshield installed Reply with quote

http://www.midwestamphicar.com/images/8311.JPG
So close yet so far. Pulse itself was problem when fitting windshield. I screwed up paint and will have to wet sand and redo. I love having a Pulse in the garage. I open the door and its nothing but cool views. See y'all soon at Marion. Later Dave
DMD1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Its alive and almost well Reply with quote

After the most excellent Pulse meet I returned to working on 240. Added a fuel pump, found the new coil was defective. Now just have issues with one carb flooding. But after it started motor had bad knocking sound from crankcase. I pulled engine. (nice job Mike) Mike had thought about this and due to his engineering removal was very simple. case removal determined nothing more than some loose bolts on starter clutch. I then rebuilt clutch slave also. The "yard" test only allowed getting into second and it did it quickly. Today I will work on brakes! Yeehaa!!!!
DMD1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Firing on all four Reply with quote

It feels good to be driven. Finally tonight after set back after set back, I got all four cylinders to fire. Wow what a difference between the Yamaha 400 and the 1100. Rear tire likes to spin. Still no brakes so had a oh crap moment when trying to slow down at corner. Made the turn and hammered down, oh yea she really fly's. Maybe tomorrow brake part will arrive. Later 240Dave
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Sounds like your making some good progress.

If you're having carb issues, Randakks.com is an excellant source. I've purchased a few of his rebuild kits over the years.

He knows us Pulse people too! He put a picture of my Pulse #77 in his customer vehicle Gallery.

- Bob
DMD1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: First show Saturday Reply with quote

I made it to corner twice. Some trouble with carb #3 but not too bad. Installing turn signals. Waiting from Hagerty for insurance card. I have all new and working brakes. I can lock up rear tire on gravel. I plan on driving to local car show the Saturday.I am so excited. Wish it was "done" so I could start upgrades. It really wants wings. Later Dave
DMD1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: 100 percent legal and driveable!!!!!! Reply with quote

I made it to first car show. Then I put another 25 miles on 240. I let little kids sit in it and play with steering wheel. You know in 20 years that kid will be looking for one! I found a few more small issues mostly with plug wires and she runs good. Getting closer to making wings. Later Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: