PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW DIGITAL DASH UPGRADE - pictures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hatfield

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: NEW DIGITAL DASH UPGRADE - pictures Reply with quote

Just finished installing a new digital dash by Dakota Digital. A picture of Dave Bauers is shown on the main page of the web site and I liked it so I followed the lead and did it. The pictures aren't the best but this is one sweet dash. Includes speedo in both digits and bar, tach in both digits and bar, odometer with trip meter, fuel, water temp, volts, oil pressure, front shocks air pressure and rear shocks air pressure. Here are some pictures:

Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,

Very nice! Very Happy

What donor bike are you using? GL1100 or GL1200? Did the Dakota Digital Dash come all mounted to the bezel like that or did you have to do all the gauge mounting yourself?

Did the kit also come with all the sensors, transducers, etc needed to display the various "vehicle vitals" to the read outs?

Did everything fit within the stock Pulse plastic console or did you have some customizing to do?

Sorry, about all the questions, but you may have enticed other owners into the digital dash....

Again, very nice and it matches the futuristic styling of the Pulse.

- Bob
elden simons

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Ooooo, Ahhhh...but, Reply with quote

I want too!
There be the problem too. Has there been any thought to install a steering wheel of equal size, but with the upper arc cut off?
You know, save the original, but install one where you can get a better view of the dash display?
I've only looked at J.C. Whitney catalog pictures and I havn't seen one with a strong looking horizontal arms (let alone my even knowing the correct diameter) to use and cut.

I'd sure like a 'heads up' speedometer.

Now, to have a upper dash mounted GPS. Well, anyone can stick one there now days. Have it somehow wired into my mono/intercom system so I can hear it. *What? Eh? Turn when?*
hatfield

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

My Pulse has and always has had the Honda 1100 engine in it. I had planned on doing an upgrade by now but it is still on the back burner. Eventually, it will have an 1800 setup in it.

All of the gauges came premounted into a panel that was made by Dakota Digital. When I contacted them, I included links to the photos of Dave Bauer's dash that is shown on the main page of the autocycles.org web site. They actually still had the dash opening dimensions. They sent me a drawing of that for verification and it was the same. They custom build an aluminum housing, mount all the gauages and they all work through a ribbon cable to a seperately mounted computer box. I had to grind out all the plastic for the housing to slip in but it does fit. Only one power lead and one ground lead to that box handles all gauges. You then just need the sending unit leads. You get to eliminate all the powers and grounds for the individual gauges, all the powers and grounds for the illumination lights for the individual gauges and all the wires for the volt meter as the system gets that info from the computer box. The custom design department run by a guy named Justin at Dakota Digital is superb. They have a number of standard gauge packages plus custom configurations. In my case, I even added front and rear air shock PSI readouts. They sent me six different layouts to consider. Although I spent 4 weekends doing it, it was relatively easy. I spent a lot of extra time cleaning up wiring and adding other things like an auxilliary fuse box and a grounding block plus some other things.

The gauge package came witll all new sending units plus a speedometer converter. In my case, the only sender I had to change was for the oil pressure but the wire lead was fine. My other sending units worked perfectly as all the gauges are programmable from the dash to work with various sending units. I had already installed a VDO water temp sender and a VDO fuel gauge sender a year ago and those worked perfectly.

There is an auto dim that dims down the brightness when the lights are turned on. There are two momentary switches that handle programming on the fly plus deal with trip meter reset and other data resets. All in all, a pretty neat setup. It is not cheap though. Be prepared to spend between $1,000 and $1,500. The standard 5 gauge custom is $1100 then there is a charge for the housing build and, in my case, the air shock gauges added a couple hundred more.

Eldon,

One of the guys that had a Pulse at the last rally had cut a section out of the stock steering wheel. I don't remeber the owner but I took a picture of it for future reference. My gauges are laid out that the only one blocked is the odometer and I can see it if I just mocve a little.:

pulse220

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply put ....Very, very nice job on the dash.
Chuck Furgason

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The steering wheel in the picture is out of Linda's & my Pulse 324 & 328. It is a Grant and the size is almost identical I went with the four bar for strength.
I think the number was 450. I cut the section out and used 3/4 inch plugs from the hardware in the ends. also made a spacer to bolt the new wheel to the old hub.
Chuck
Dave Bauer

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: digital dash Reply with quote

Pete,
I'm glad it all worked out for you. Dakota Digital can modify the bias curves of your digital gages to make them accurate if they are not. Send me an email if you think you need to do this.
-Dave
hatfield

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dave. All of my gauges appear to be accurate. I'm pretty happy with them. After this my time with them about the only thing I wish was different is that they could be brighter in the daylight, expecially on a sunny day. Other than that, no complaints.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: