PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air Conditioning on Pulse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Air Conditioning on Pulse Reply with quote

I was reviewing some older forum topics and noticed several mentioning air conditioning on their Pulses. Were the later models delivered with this option or was it installed by owners after the fact? What types of units are available for air conditioning a Pulse? It seemed like the owners with AC also had the GL1000 series motorcycle engines.
elden simons

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Passenger's head gets Freezer Burn Reply with quote

Well now...The air-conditioner was factory (Plant 2) installed.
It was an option on the order form for Pulses with the larger engine.
#308 has a 1200cc Honda and the installation was a surprise for us.
We didn't ask for it.
So, in the heat of the summer, it really was nice. Yet, my wife got the back of her head and neck overly chilled considering that the cooling unit was on the mini storage shelf area behind her head.
I have a half-fast idea of solving the problem, but you know the story with #308.
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what type/brand of AC unit was used? I assume Honda didn't put AC on their huge Gold Wing machines, but you never know. In the hot rod business they have companies like Vintage Air, that build custom fit units for various older cars that obviously never came with one from the factory. I don't know if you or anyone would know what manufacturer to use. It's always better to work with someone that A) knows what a Pulse is and B) has worked with one before.
Stevenp74

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: a/c Reply with quote

Bob I can't help you I don't have a/c.
In this day of effecient everything why cant't we come up with a solution to the A/C problem. I know it takes about 5 h.p. away from our engines.
Their must be something that has a unit we can adapt to our machines.
Its hot here in florida!
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, there has to be a small, lightweight, efficient, and reasonably priced solution. What do they use on these small electric vehicles or smaller gas based vehicles. I wouldn't think you'd have to push out too much air, since the Pulse cockpit is rather small. I'm going to contact Vintage Air, just for kicks, and see what they can come up with. I remember driving an enclosed John Deere tractor as a kid, that had AC. I guess that was probably more of a standard auto application. My wife found an icechest at one of here recent dog shows here in Florida, which had a fan and blower setup. You can keep yourself, your dogs, and a few beers cool all with the same device!
Chuck Furgason

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob
My Pulse had a factory AC unit on it. Here in Michigan you dont need air.
I ride with the canopy open most of the time anyway. I removed the unit
so I could install a alternator to run the electrial system. The ac unit that
was on my Pulse looks like it was made up from different mfg. The blower
is from Danhard Corp.Dallas Tex. The compressor is Murray Corp. The
freon tank is GM. The hardest part to putting an AC on a Gold Wing or any other bike motors is driving the compressor. On the 1200 GW they bored a hole through the timing belt cover and installed an extension on the crankshaft to installed a pully.
I hope this helps you. If anybody was interested I would be willing to sell the parts I removed.
Chuck

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that the AC on the new Toyota Prius runs on electric only. Wonder if something like that would work in the Pulse assuming we could produce enough electricity?
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great info.

Aonther question Chuck or others).... so why the addition of the alternator? Where was your unit getting the electric before adding the alternator? I'm looking at providing an LCD panel and rear mounted camera(s). Is there not enough power coming from the stock motorcycle setup to run anything other than stock associated lights and instrument cluster?
Chuck Furgason

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think my GW alternator was working that great and
it was easier to install a GM alternator than pull the engine.
Chuck
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck... how much of the old AC components do you still have? Do you have the extended crank shaft and pulley. BTW... is the pulley and shaft "keyed"?

Thanks,

-Bob
Chuck Furgason

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob
I have all the components. The dash switch I used for some lights. The crank was extended and I used the pully for my alternator. I don't no how it was keyed or fastened on other than a bolt in the center. I could not get the pully off, I think if I used heat I could have but did not want to take the chance of burning or melting the timing belts.
Chuck
mikepulse325

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: A/C Reply with quote

#325 (goldwing 1100) had A/C. Despite the fact Maryland gets hot in the summer, we pulled the unit. 14 years had passed and so did the freon, plus it was one more item to try and work around for maintenance. It ran via additional belt. We "capped" the freon canister and left it on the frame and pulled the compressor, bracket and belt. I removed the fan from the back deck (hey more space!). I made a white vinyl, foldable, "cockpit cover" that I place over to block all sun if parked outside on hot days. If I get in quick and keep moving I have not melted yet, probably pulled about 50 pounds of hardware out of thing to boot. Mike
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck and Mike,

Thanks for the replies... I was hoping someone had the "spare" parts laying around and with an interest in parting with them. I think the crank shaft extension needs to be "keyed" otherwise it risks the chance of unscrewing due to the tension of the 2 belts. I would just hate to have to pull the crank just to have shaft keyed/slotted. I think I'd take a chance with some Locktite or JB Weld first.

-Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: