PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wearing helmets and riding the Pulse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Wearing helmets and riding the Pulse Reply with quote

Just out of curiousity....since some states still have helmet laws, do Pulse owners ride with helmets?

Florida just removed it's helmet requirement in the last year or so.... did you Florida Pulsers wear your helmets back a few years ago?
elden simons

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Wanna-be fighter jockeys Reply with quote

Bob...can't let the Forum get dusty,eh?
As you may already read from an old OMCC brochure, operating a Pulse without a helmet is one of its pluses. Yet, if you were to operate a Pulse with the canopy open...being that it is licensed as a motorcycle...you must follow State law.
Tammy and I decided that we would use helmets. We would almost do the same if operating a small car if it were not considered socially rediculous.
Before we made out down payment for the Pulse, I did research and chose that we have intercom communications/radio/CB hookup.
I did not want to have to yell conversations back and forth. So, to go along with such. We also got Moped style helmets (Shoei) that looked sort of neat. They are full helmets with visor, but no face sheild.
Now some may say that all this is unecessary. Well, who can really predict...
One real draw back is this...when I had #308 operational (way backwhen) ...I'd play my favorite tunes on the radio and listen to such in Mono from the earphones in the helmet. I'd then have something to say to Tammy at some point and not get a response. All because she would turn the volume down or off on her hookup so to not have to listen to the music!
Heck...we wanted flight coveralls too! Cool
Tammy and Elden have Pulse #308 from 1988.Built in Butcher's Barn and presently sets inoperative in their garage. We are still keeping it!
Chuck Furgason

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy When we got our first Pulse I contacted the police dept. they said because you have a roll bar and seat belts you DO NOT have to wear helmets. We have been stoped many times and never questioned about helmets. Michigan does have a helmet law. We ride with the canopy open all most all the time this does not make a difference.
Elden you need to get your Pulse runing so you can get back into the thick of it, and enjoy with the wind in your hair,
Chuck Furgason
elden simons

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Wind in Hair Reply with quote

Chuck,
with the canopy slid back, it makes one heck of a racket. Vibrates or shudders something terrible.
Otherwise, Tammy and I rather wear helmets...not only for extra sense of security, but it seems to fit our mental image of being in a cockpit of sorts.
Thanks for the encouragement though
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, no one has gotten a ticket for not wearing one? It's obvious, that avoiding attention in a Pulse is not going to happen, so either the police are being "nice" about it or they have no clue that's it's registered as a motorcycle.

I don't know what I'd do..... If I ride a motorcycle, I always wear a helmet, but would feel "silly" being in my vette with a helmet on. Although, if you autocross or anything, it's a requirement.
elden simons

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Helmets in automobiles Reply with quote

Yup, it is socially unacceptable to wear head protection in typical automobiles. Yet, there has been plenty of local news spots and national news spots of inadequate "roll-over" protection. This past winter in the U.P. has seen "on the scene" broadcast of "roll-over" and collision accidents. The cabs of both cars and trucks show considerable weakness (includes the so called beefy pickup trucks from Ford and Dodge). With such in mind, nobody is really safe, but such is my thinking only..."Ouch"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: