PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ITS ALIVE 110

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMD1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: ITS ALIVE 110 Reply with quote

Drove around the yard today!! No mufflers or brakes. Do as I say Son not as I do.........The Ninja I think is going to SCREAM down the highway. Later Dave
Steve Schmidt
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Please keep us posted on your conversion.

steve
DavetheWave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Vrooooooom Reply with quote

Finally putting some miles on 110. Had over heating issues. Have added a fan and a air scoop underneath. No mufflers was a bad idea. Way too loud. Had a garage mishap and broke the windshield. So am looking for a glass one. The Lexan we had made last year was too distorted. Took it to a local restaurant, it caused lots of commotion. Let a couple of kids sit in it, Made their day. probably will tow bar to Marion. The Ninja engine does scream. Later Dave
Bob Cervero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to check on the overheating. When I put a 750 Kawasaki in Pulse #61 it overheated quickly at first. The problem turned out to be air in the cooling system. If there is air in the cooling system it can cause the water pump to not circulate the water properly or it can simply keep the water out of the radiator if there is enough of it.

It can be tough to get all the air out. Pulse #61 has the radiator up in the nose so there was about 12 feet of radiator hose. I used a garden hose full blast to push the water all the way from the engine, through the hoses to the radiator up front and then back to the engine again until no air came out. That might be your problem.
DavetheWave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good times. Margie drove Pulse first time. I am surprised how well brakes work. I am using stock master cylinder. Using larger reservoir for front stock caliper and small reservoir for Ninja rear brake. I raised package area which allowed better airflow. I still plan on side scoops and another fan. If that does not keep it cool when 95 degrees outside then will add additional radiator. Overflow tank is higher than radiator and all air has been purged. Two weeks till World meet 2010 !!!
DavetheWave

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When tire shredded, it hit brake line. So now it gets new pads and another new line. A bizzare electrical gremlin moved in. My neutral safety switch light went away and now starts in gear. Oil light went away. And low fuel light is now on. Some days I think I work too hard to have all this "fun". Goal is to tow bar to Marion. Wish us luck. Later Dave
pulse220

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
Just a suggestion...If the electrical gremlims all came at the same time, I'd try checking your grounds first. Particularly if they were tied together when you wired it.
Neutral safety, oil light, and fuel have all worked off of grounding sending units in all of my previous projects.

I had a bad ground on my '49 Ford a few weeks back that drove me crazy to track down. I lost rear taillights, but the front flashers would come on when I hit the brakes. If I turned on the headlights, my third brake light would come on. If I turned on the hazards, my dash lights would flash. I finally tracked down the specific ground wire that was causing it all.

Good luck!
Chad
elden simons

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Dave, the little tsunami... Reply with quote

First off....Hats off to Chad for making a great point to bring clarity to an electrical job that no one wishes to address.

Next; Dave....just a thought. Remember to disconnect the chain or the drive shaft when towing please. Put a brush stone deflector as sold in J.C. Whitney or wide mud flaps on the tow-vehicle. Hate to hear that the fiberglass or paint got all damaged and such (or going over road repairs and spraying tar or asphalt oils).

We all care, Dave!!!

Elden
DavetheWave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: vrooom vroom Reply with quote

I added extra grounds to frame earlier. I think it is the power side feeding the above. Maybe shorting with low fuel light which was not connected earlier. Also can you say the words "boogered up"? The wiring is also on the to redo list. One biker told me no problem towing with chain on. I could not find any "master link" on this. Rocks and stuff, this body is beat and sun baked. So this year no worrys about chips. On a side note, I will not say MPH but this thing can really haul. It sounds like a Formula car when taching around 10,000 rpm. Still no mufflers but the washers I welded on are helping a little in noise department. 3-4 miles away you can hardly hear me! Good thing corn is up. Two weeks till Marion!!!
DavetheWave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember telling Ray to use solder and heat shrink........Next thing I see is crimp ons. So when I was working on brake switch it pulled out one wire. Which in turn back fed. Which in turn screwed with a relay which in turn dropped voltage to electric fuel valve which in turn made running engine difficult! So now reconnected, valve rewired and now she purrrrs like it should. Hagerty insurance has been working on finding/manufacturing a windshield. It has become an office challenge. Jim Bede said he too would look into it. **brain went dead, someone from list is bringing me a plastic one to look at. My thoughts are to go with that till a glass one becomes available. Judy repoerts the distortion is very low and not an issue. My Lexan was bad. Like driving with trifocals.
DavetheWave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ground wire was getting hot. It also happened to be the ground wire that went to nearly everything. I disconnected and removed fuses. Somewhere I made a major mistake. So that is what Winter is for. So now it has new rear tire,rear brakes. I finally got to take it for a test drive. Hot and humid and it did not overheat.Yea! But one cylinder is not running right acts like the carb is flooding. It will run long enough to drive from hotel to airport in Marion!! Now I am setting up trailer to hopefully fit Pulse on with one outrigger off. Later Dave
DavetheWave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: GRRRR Reply with quote

Pulse loaded fairly easily with one outrigger off. A little harder taking off trailer. We arrived Saturday am. Pulse 110 roared to life. One carb started acting up, so it was much happier at high rpms. We took a trip to VA hospital with the hope of adding a bit of cheer to the Veterans. 110 easily made the run and returned to hotel trouble free. Sunday was chilly and it took a bit to get started. A blast around parking lot and it was ready for pics and 40 mile cruise. I turn Pulse off and wait for Margie. We get in fire up Pulse and it will not move. Transmission simply stopped working. We pushed to other lot for photo opportunity. Luckily there were open seats for us to enjoy the tour. A Canadian couple joined the group, wanting to buy a Pulse. Luckily for me they were not near when 110 broke. Sold! could have been response. So now need to make decisions on how to proceed.
Problem is internal, which means complete tear down. So I think I am going to clear out corner of garage and bury it till next Spring. GRRRRRRRRRRR
DavetheWave

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to fiddle with Pulse. I was able to force second gear. Then all others worked good. Still second would only catch every 10- 20 times. I was happy that I could now move and start 110. I had to drain oil so I refilled with Mobil one. I drove it twice short distance. It works. So at least I can attend a nearby car show. Then call the season over. A great great Summer.
elden simons

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Yippeee! Growl-Growl... Reply with quote

Aint that something else?!!
What is that things problem, anyways??

Dirt roads, corn fields, and locusts...just don't get swim happy when you see a nice looking lake or river. A Pulse-marine (blubb, blubb).
DavetheWave

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad I did not make the mistake of selling 110. We took it for a night cruise all went well. Today I did local car show. I got everyones attention as I did a "fly by" at 10,000 rpm. about 55 mph. When it runs on all 4 carbs it is saweeeet!! No idea what happened with trans. Its been shifting perfectly. Running a tad warm so will use ideas I got from convention.
It is such an exciting handful to drive. I feel like I can now start restoring it.
Litestar15-e

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are jonesing for some pictures Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: