PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK  Forum Index PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frt. Shocks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Finch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Frt. Shocks Reply with quote

Does anyone have a part number for coil over shocks?
Bob Hichborn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

There's a few good discussions on the Pulse shock subject. Here's an exerp which calls out the shock part number.

----------

As I begin putting together Pulse proto-type #1 this week, I felt I needed to revisit the whole front shock discussion.

I feel the 58575 Monroe shocks we have spec'd for the front suspension are really not appropriate for the weight of the Pulse, as well as, a desireable ride height. The spec on these coil over shocks show a length range of 9 to 14 inches, which is not necessarily bad, but load rating is way too much for the roughly 500 to 600 lbs sitting on the front wheel.

The 58575 from what I can tell is really rated for supplying your vehicle an extra stiff suspension under load. So we have 2 shocks on a single wheel each rated at 1000lbs plus. At those numbers, we might as well weld the front end like the old Harley hardtail. l understand these shock were designed for Chey trucks and vans.

I believe this explains alot of the incredibly rough ride many of us are experiencing. Of course, if we soften up the front suspension we also run into potential issues with the outriggers gettiing bounced into the ground, which opens up another whole set of discussions on vehicle control under various driving conditions.

As I integrate the 80 Goldwing this week, I'll also be doing some reseach on a better shock absorber solution. What I'll be looking for first is any easy Off The Shelf solution. One that has the same hole diameter, same end widths, so it fits in the existing Pulse supports, but a shock that is both 2 inches shorter and rated for a lighter load.

Not sure that this shock exits without going custom. The other option is to look a older motorcycle coilover shocks that had similar upper and lower mounts.

---------------

I've got 2 brand new sets of these shocks that I had planned on putting on the 2 Pulse replicas I'm building, that I'm willing to sell if someone is having problems finding replacements. I believe Monroe stopped making them, but you can find them thru NAPA autoparts.

- Bob
Don Willi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Front Shocks Reply with quote

Jim,
I am using Pro Shocks. They may be a little more money then you might want to spend on shocks, but they will build the shocks to the front weight of your pulse etc. The springs can be changed and they are adjustable as well. They also are narrower then the original and would give you more clearance. These are well built shocks at a cost of about 300. for the pair. The website is ProShocks. I have the 10 1/2" and are adjustable. You can raise or lower the look of your pulse. The great thing is that it would be designed for proper load of your front in. The shocks I am using is model 10 1/2" ( ABS/SR 350/350 ). When you get to the website just click streets rods and then click catalog. Don
pulse220

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to Don's suggestion, we've used QA1 shocks for some of our projects, although not specifically our Pulses. (Last time we used them was a few month ago for the Vespa 400 we put a 1200cc Harley motor into..) They are a custom built shock that has many variables to suit your needs.

Their website is : http://www.qa1.net/qa1_motorsports/index.html

We used the circle track aluminum shocks since most of those cars are lighter weight to begin with. They come in a small body or large body. You must determine the stroke length, extended and compressed lengths and then the Spring deflection rate. We weighed the car at each corner to determine what it needed. The techs were very helpful in getting the correct setup.

It's just another suggestion for custom shock instead of off the shelf ones. Sometimes off the shelf does not work the best since they are not designed for every single application. However, like Don mentioned, they will be more costly.

Don's post includes Pulse specific info so it may be a better way to go since he's already done the Pulse research. Just thought I'd mention another company that may help.
Litestar15-e

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone have the part number for the front and rear shocks, the listed number have changed at auto zone?
Jim Finch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys.
I installed today from Autozone a pair of 43048 shocks. I removed the front air shocks and installed coil over shocks. They fit without any changes just bolt them in.The ride is much better and the ride height came out just right. They sell for about $80.00 a pair. They were to fit a CJ7 jeep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PULSE AUTOCYCLE NETWORK Forum Index -> The Forum All times are GMT + 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: